11. Limestone In Architecture. What do you need to know to build with limestone?
Limestone is a natural stone and is one of the most abundant compounds in nature. It is a white rock composed mostly of calcium, although it sometimes has traces of other carbons. It is a sustainable building material with numerous benefits. Its impact on the ecosystem is minimal, and it is a material that can be recycled and reused. Limestone is believed to have existed for more than 3000 years and is present in every corner of the planet.
Natural stone offers excellent resistance in buildings, making it a material capable of being maintained over the years. Its characteristics provide significant advantages that favor sustainable and versatile construction.
Do you want to know more about this highly valued material?
· Good resistance to frost and heat. This makes it a thermally insulating material. It provides significant savings in heating and cooling, increasing the house’s energy efficiency.
· Architectural integration with the environment and mimicry with nature. Limestone maintains the landscape perception of the place.
· It is positioned as an efficient natural cladding.
· Good water absorption. It is a porous stone with a high degree of absorption that can reach up to 13%.
· Flexural strength with values from 35 kg/cm2 to 162 kg/cm2.
· Good resistance to frost and heat. Limestone makes it a thermally insulating material. It provides significant savings in heating and cooling, increasing the house’s energy efficiency.
· Its resistance to compression is very variable. It ranges from 98.4 to 583 kg.
· Impact resistance between 30 and 45 cm
· Limestone is a soft stone that can be easily worked. Its hardness corresponds to a value of 2/3 according to the Mohs scale.
· It usually presents veins or spots.
· It is used as aggregate in the formation of concrete.
· To achieve adequate sizes, it is crucial to go through a three-stage crushing process.
· Limestone is resistant and offers a great variety of tones, colors, and textures.
· It adapts to both exterior and interior structures.
· It requires little maintenance.
· If used for exterior cladding, it must be sealed to protect it from stains.
· Who are we?
Pablo Luna Architecture and Design Studio based in Bali, focuses on the design, development and production of art, jewelry and architecture with bamboo and other natural materials. We design with locally sourced materials that have a low impact on the environment while creating high-performance buildings that won’t be expensive to heat and maintain.
March 31, 2022
We have created an architecture questionnaire to learn more about your: Vision, Goals, Budget & Timeframe for this project. If you are ready to start collaborating with us, click on the button below to begin the journey!